Needlestick Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We have completed the forum conversion from vBulletin to SMF.

Author Topic: Needlestick that doesn\'t bleed  (Read 24252 times)

amg96

• View Profile
Needlestick that doesn\'t bleed
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »

Yesterday I was in the process of searching a persons bag and through the paperbag the needle was in, the bookbag and my set of gloves I still got stuck in my thumb. The person did get tested as well and did not have HIV but does have Hep C. Now the injury did not bleed and I never actually felt the distinct prick of the needle but it was the standard one diabetics use. I now am getting tested for the next year to check for hep C. i do have immunizations for Hep B. I was just wondering are my risks lower or the same because it didn\'t go in enough to bleed and the only thing visible was a small red dot

lpnnicole

• View Profile
in this boat together
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »

hi, i was wondering if u had any responses to ur thread. I was exposed to hep c last nite while performing a blood draw, similar to you, i felt the needle pierce the glove and brush my skin. i didn\'t bleed @ all. I am very curious about the incidence of contracting hep c after a needle stick from an infected patient. I think its 3% but unsure of my data. Do u have any info?

Kangarooz

• View Profile
Think it is 0.3
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

I was just in the ER getting counseled about a dirty needlestick. The PA who I talked to told me the chance of contracting Hep C from a needlestick is 0.3%. I don\'t know where he got his info from though :(

melissa

• View Profile
i was exposed
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »

Hi I have a similar situation to the both of you I was stuck with a needle when I was starting an IV I didn\'t even think it had poked me because I didn\'t feel anything but when I removed my glove I had blood on my finger. I still was not sure if it was mine or the patients. I washed my hand right away then cleaned with an alcohol swab, that is when I felt a sting like I had been cut. I tried to squeeze my finger to see if any blood would come out but I got nothing. For hep c I have read that the transmission is between 3 and 10% with a large hollow bore needle. What is considered a large bore needle? Does anyone know? I was using a 20 gauge. I hope everything turns out ok for you. By the way did you recieve any prophylactic medications?

miketodd

• View Profile
Needlestick that doesn\'t bleed
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »

Same here...dang it!  my conditions were similar to all above, with a 25ga ABG syringe.  Anyone with info would be kindly appreciated.  I have An acceptable titer level on my Hep. B vaccine, and the gent I got stuck from was not tested for any diseases.  no bleeding from stick site, but did feel it hit my skin.