Needlestick Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We have completed the forum conversion from vBulletin to SMF.

Author Topic: acupuncture needlesticks  (Read 11199 times)

stillwell

• View Profile
acupuncture needlesticks
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

Hi Folks:

I\'m a student intern studying acupuncture and Chinese medicine.  This afternoon I was treating HIV positive patients and managed to push a filiform needle through my patient\'s skin, then out of it and into my thumb.  I felt a sharp pinch but it was so shallow that I thought the skin hadn\'t even been broken (no mark), but when I got home home I noticed a tiny red mark in the area.

I\'ve been doing internet searches on acupuncture needlesticks and have found nothing.  We use filiform needles which are aren\'t hollow (not like hypodermics.)  I was also using the narrowest gauge needle we have at the clinic, which is the 40 1/2 inch.

Anyone have any information that applies to me?  I\'m pretty desperate for info :(

I\'ve put in a call to both my supervisor and my doctor to get their opinions.

Thanks to any and all out there :o

kswann83

• View Profile
sorry to hear this happened
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »

I was recently stuck by a pair of scissors that came from a suture kit. I am an er tech and part of my "responsibity" is to put the non disposable instruments in water and disinfectant and scrub them and prepare them for sterilization. Well the scissors that I was poked with (in the thumb) had been in the solution well over 8 hours probably more like 12 to 24 hours but I was scrubbing the scissors with a little scrub brush and my hand slipped causing me to poke myself in the thumb! As I was cleaning the darn things I noticed there was no blood or anything on the scissors that I could see but i was thinking to myself how bad it would suck to stick myself and them BAM out of nowhere my hand slipped and I poked myself. I had to do all the testing that is required , but the thing that sucks is that it was an unknown source so Im freaking out not knowing what to do! I just wanna cry. How long can viruses, bacteria live in water/disinfectant? I am so scared i wanna cry. Can anyone give me any advice?
I understand that your scared and my prayers go out to you.:)

kswann83

• View Profile
acupuncture needlesticks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »

have you heard anything?