Needlestick Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We have completed the forum conversion from vBulletin to SMF.

Author Topic: First Stick, Employer Unsupportive  (Read 12497 times)

Kangarooz

• View Profile
First Stick, Employer Unsupportive
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

Hi, I am glad I found this forum. I am so stressed out I need some advice. I work in a private practice and had a dirty needle stick a little over a week ago. The doctor was totally unsupportive. He wrote me a script to get a HEP C titer in a few weeks. That\'s it! I went to the ER anyway, and they are refusing to pay the bill. They said it does not qualify for workmans comp, so I have to put it through my own insurance. I know who the patient was, and reported it to the doc right away. The doc in the ER said for them to ask the patient to get a blood test. They still haven\'t done it.

Any advice? :(

electric citizen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »

Have you had a bloodtest done yet?

Drsamy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »

Hi,

I feel your anxiety. The same happened to me, and thats why I found this site. I don\'t know if I am looking at the discussion correctly, but it appears that you haven\'t received a reply, and that is discouraging. Please give me an update on your situation. Has anything happened since you posted?

Hang in there,

Amy

electric citizen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »

I find it very sad that most people don\'t understand the impact of a needle-stick injury. Although the physical injury can sometimes cause pain it doesn\'t last nearly as long as the agony of not knowing if the needle/sharp was contaminated. I think the sooner awareness is raised about the psychological impact the better. This awareness should be especially true for employers as they have a duty of care to their employees and others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.

We go to work in the expectation that we will be going home in the same (or better) condition that we arrived.

Glenn