Needlestick Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We have completed the forum conversion from vBulletin to SMF.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
 on: October 26, 2008, 07:23:54 PM 
Started by Christi, RN - Last post by Shaz66
Hi there I\'m Sharon,and i was just reading your post.
I have also had a needlestick injury and i\'m trying to find out if there are any evidence written anywhere about  my employers being responsible for a full sharps bin. They are saying it is my fault, so i need to show it isn\'t. Is there anything that says it  in the health and safety laws.:( .

Can you help please.

Thanks
Shaz

on: October 01, 2008, 05:50:42 AM 
Started by Kangarooz - Last post by electric citizen
I find it very sad that most people don\'t understand the impact of a needle-stick injury. Although the physical injury can sometimes cause pain it doesn\'t last nearly as long as the agony of not knowing if the needle/sharp was contaminated. I think the sooner awareness is raised about the psychological impact the better. This awareness should be especially true for employers as they have a duty of care to their employees and others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.

We go to work in the expectation that we will be going home in the same (or better) condition that we arrived.

Glenn

on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:03 PM 
Started by Drsamy - Last post by Drsamy
I need someone to calm my fears. I do not have a medical license of any kind, but assist in the injection of Botox & Juvederm on a daily basis.

July 17, 2008 I was disposing a syringe in the Sharps container, and was stuck by a needle in the (too full) sharps container. My employer advised that since none of our clients are \'sick\', I don\'t need to worry or do anything about it. I don\'t think we had done any injections that day.

It is now September 25, 2008, and I am fighting Pneumonia. I am 30 years old and besides the above events I have been healthy. I am concerned that I was infected through the needle stick, and have HIV or something else that weakened my immune system, thereby allowing the pneumonia to occur.

I have been doing a little research, and have found that HIV doesn\'t live long outside the body, (ie: on one of our needles in the sharps conatiner) and there is the reality that most of our clients are middle to upperclass women who would probably be responsible enough to disclose any disease they might have on their Patient History.

So any ideas? If I tell the owners (doctors who run an Urgent Care and are taking care of the Pneumonia) of the business, my boss will get in trouble, and possibly myself too. I am a single Mom and this job is otherwise good to me.

Should I put all that aside and tell them so they can perform the neccessary blood tests?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy :confused: :(

on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:04 PM 
Started by Kangarooz - Last post by Drsamy
Hi,

I feel your anxiety. The same happened to me, and thats why I found this site. I don\'t know if I am looking at the discussion correctly, but it appears that you haven\'t received a reply, and that is discouraging. Please give me an update on your situation. Has anything happened since you posted?

Hang in there,

Amy

on: September 15, 2008, 05:06:56 PM 
Started by amg96 - Last post by miketodd
Same here...dang it!  my conditions were similar to all above, with a 25ga ABG syringe.  Anyone with info would be kindly appreciated.  I have An acceptable titer level on my Hep. B vaccine, and the gent I got stuck from was not tested for any diseases.  no bleeding from stick site, but did feel it hit my skin.

on: September 14, 2008, 12:14:15 AM 
Started by amg96 - Last post by melissa
Hi I have a similar situation to the both of you I was stuck with a needle when I was starting an IV I didn\'t even think it had poked me because I didn\'t feel anything but when I removed my glove I had blood on my finger. I still was not sure if it was mine or the patients. I washed my hand right away then cleaned with an alcohol swab, that is when I felt a sting like I had been cut. I tried to squeeze my finger to see if any blood would come out but I got nothing. For hep c I have read that the transmission is between 3 and 10% with a large hollow bore needle. What is considered a large bore needle? Does anyone know? I was using a 20 gauge. I hope everything turns out ok for you. By the way did you recieve any prophylactic medications?

on: September 11, 2008, 09:48:19 AM 
Started by Kangarooz - Last post by electric citizen
Have you had a bloodtest done yet?

on: September 10, 2008, 02:54:49 PM 
Started by bystandstick - Last post by bystandstick
What can I do??  I am not a medical professional.  I was having my blood drawn at a reputable infertility clinic, and the (temp) technician stuck me, missed my vein, stuck herself, the accidentally stuck me AGAIN.  I was rushed out of the clinic, told to contact my doctor for "counseling", lost a day of work, ended up in the ER, am now on prophylactic meds, and don\'t know anything about the tech who stuck me.  Any thoughts?

on: September 01, 2008, 08:20:13 AM 
Started by Christi, RN - Last post by electric citizen
Quote from: Hamzah;27
Hi..I\'m working with a cleaning contractor at the hospital and I found that it is dificult to deal with our client (hospital) to discuss about this matter and reduce the number of victims among our cleaners...any suggestion ?

Hi Hamzah

I am not familiar with your set-up but surely there will be an interface of some description between the contract and the hospital? Needlestick injuries are fully investigated in the UK hospitals. I should imagine that your best bet would be to go through your Health and Safety advisor/manager or the hospital\'s. It is vital that the hospital is aware of any injuries that happen to \'external\' staff otherwise they are not capturing the data or be in a position to investigate the incidence.

Just as a matter of interest what is the cleaning staff\'s procedure for treatment of this type of injury?

on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:41 AM 
Started by stillwell - Last post by kswann83
have you heard anything?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4